27 May The Dangers of the Tanning Bronzer Oil Hack
If you’re one of the many people who have been sucked into the TikTok vortex, you may find yourself scrolling through videos for hours on end. And while there’s no doubt that the app can be entertaining, it can also be dangerous. Case in point: the craze surrounding the use of baby oil as a self-tanner.
What could possibly go wrong, you ask? We take a closer look at the dangers of this so-called “hack” to find out.
How Does It Work & Why Is It Dangerous?
The premise is pretty simple: by applying baby oil all over your body and then lying out in the sun, you can supposedly tan faster than you would with just sunscreen.
Naturally, by using baby oil that has virtually zero SPF that can protect your skin against the sun’s UV rays. This means that you’re putting yourself at a major risk for sunburn. But that’s not the only danger here.
When applied to the skin, baby oil actually acts as an occlusive agent. This means that it creates a barrier on the surface of the skin that can actually trap heat and increase your skin’s temperature, leading to burns. In fact, dermatologists say that this method is one of the worst ways to get a sun-kissed glow.
The Better And Safer Way To Tan
We get it. All of us want to be tanned quicker, and enjoy the glow longer. However, when it comes to getting a bronzed glow, we should know by now that there’s a right way and a wrong way to do it. And while it may be tempting to take the easy way out with a quick fix like baby oil, it’s just not worth the risk.
So what’s the alternative? Airbrush tanning is a much safer way to get the same results. Not only does it give you an even, natural-looking tan, but it also doesn’t involve any harmful UV exposure.
Here’s a quick rundown of why airbrush tanning is the way to go:
- It’s quick and easy – you can get a full-body airbrush tan in just minutes!
- It’s safe – there’s no UV exposure, so you don’t have to worry about skin damage.
- It lasts longer – a good airbrush tan can last up to two weeks.
Keeping Your Tan Even Healthier
Airbrush tanning is a safer way to achieve that golden glow without worrying about premature aging and skin cancer. But if you want to be even more vigilant about protecting your skin, there are a few things you can do:
- Shy away from using makeup within 24 hours.This also includes not using soaps and body wash that has fragrances and sodium lauryl sulfate to avoid decreasing the tan’s intensity.
- Hydrate your skin using oil-free formulas.Twice a day, you can hydrate using lotions that do not contain alcohol and fragrances like the Vanity Vault’s SunnaTan hydrating lotion.
- Want to extend your tan? Try sunless tanning products.We recommend using ‘Colour-Me-Dark’ Sunless Tanning lotion and ‘Keep-Me-Golden’ spray from the Vanity Vault to still maintain healthy skin and a longer tan.
Keep Your Skin Healthy and Glowing at the Vanity Vault
All that said, here’s hoping that this viral TikTok trend dies down soon — for everyone’s sake. In the meantime, we’ll be over here getting our airbrush tans! Thanks, but no thanks to the baby oil hack.
If you’re just as concerned about your skin health as we are, book an appointment at the Vanity Vault today. We make it our business to give you your desired tan the healthy way, and we’ll make sure that you’ll be able to keep it glowing and healthy for a long time. Send questions and messages to us through our website or better yet, book an appointment with us today!